Sunday, June 28, 2009

Remember the times...

I got the news after a friend messaged me from LA and I immediately ran to the TV to confirm the news. Unfortunately, it was true. What followed was flash of memories, right from owning the first tape of Thriller to the regret of not being rich enough to attend his concert when he was in India!

Jackson moonwalked into my life with Thriller. I was very young to even understand what he was saying then, but the beats and the video did it for me! I even used talcum powder to copy his moonwalk once! Over the past decade, I have seen many pop artist’s come and go, crooning about broken hearts, love, sex and what not. Jackson was the only one, who sang about making the world a better place. We make a big deal about racism now, he sang about it way back in the 90’s with Black or White. He sang about saving the earth with Earthsong. Every song of his had a social message. I don’t know any artist who has done this. All I remember about them is sleazy videos, booty shaking, half naked women and a lot of thump to pass off as music. Jackson never needed half naked ladies to get noticed. He had the world at his feet when he took center stage. He was the best performer the world has ever seen. There will never be a singer or dancer like him. Period.

There’s been an absolute media frenzy even after his death. Each channel/ radio station paid a ‘tribute’ to him in their own way. Some played his songs all day, some showed a documentary of him and everyone seemed to be glorifying him as the undisputed King of Pop. Its ironic cause, this very media ridiculed him when he was alive. He was like their most favorite and easiest target. They were after him like hungry vultures, waiting for him to make a mistake…

What I write here, is not a tribute to MJ. It’s a mere reminder for all those who ridiculed him when he was alive. Remember him for the message in his song and the music he made. He may have ended up in a $500 million debt, but he gave a lot of charity for different causes around the world. He did the show in India, for FREE (and I still couldn’t go for it)! He was battling skin cancer and a lot of other ailments. He lost his childhood to fame. All the negative press degraded his health further. Now that he is dead, just for the sake of TRPs, some channels show him as the god of music and what not. Bloody hypocrites! Spare him the misery, at least now and let him rest in peace.

P.S: Thank you for the music Michael, you continue to live in the hearts of many J

3 comments:

Ire said...

I second you there!

Wabbster said...

I didn't like his music, but I respect the fact that he was good at what he did.

He was the ultimate entertainer, period.

To be spoken in the same breath as Elvis Presley (someone whose music I didn't like either) is something!

He was crazy, but he was fun. And I guess that's what matters for people like you and me.

gayathri vishwanathan said...

I am reading this after one whole month...sorry.

Agreed that his music always had a social message in it, heal the world and earth song are one of my all time fav, but then I honestly don't understand the hype created by the media about his death. Now people say he is still alive, some idiot artist said that his bhoot came and told her not to have drugs and the ultimate bakwaas, priyanka chopra almost got paralyzed on hearing about his death...everyone has some (un)interesting anecdote to narrate.

May his soul RIP...

P.S: I hope the media stops speculating now whether his brain was intact or removed before cremating him.